Successful IUI – Improving Pregnancy Chances
Successful IUI–improving pregnancy chances
Many factors play a part in a successful IUI. A doctor will help to improve certain health parameters so that the chances of getting pregnant are increased considerably.
What does IUI mean?
An IUI is an assisted pregnancy method. IUI or Intrauterine Insemination is a procedure where sperms are placed directly near the uterus with the help of a catheter to reduce the journey that the sperms need to travel to meet the egg.
This method is less invasive and less costly than an IVF or In- Vitro Insemination.
An IUI is usually the first step in fertility treatment as it is close to a natural pregnancy. For a successful IUI, several steps are taken prior to the procedure. This improves the chances of a successful IUI.
What happens before an IUI?
The first step in your fertility treatment will generally involve many tests to determine the overall state of your health. These are-
- Hormone levels
- Sperm quality, quantity, and motility
- Ovulation monitoring (Ovulation is tracked to check the fertile days so that the IUI can be performed on these days)
- General health check-up of the patient to rule out any sexually transmitted diseases, ovarian health, PCOS or any infections and viruses.
In case any of the above tests show a problem in any area, then the course of treatment changes to cure that area first.
The IUI Procedure
The first step towards performing a successful IUI is to track ovulation dates. This is usually the 12th to the 14th day of a menstrual cycle of 28 days.
These are the days when a woman in most fertile as the egg is released and waits for healthy sperm to fertilize it. The doctor will perform several tests to determine ovulation dates.
Increased hormone levels and increased basal body temperature are usually common signs of ovulation. The procedure will be scheduled within these fertile days.
Sperm washing is performed to separate the healthy sperms from the slow-moving, low- motile sperms.
The washed sperms are then placed directly close to the uterus. This reduces the time taken for the sperm to complete its journey to meet the egg and increases the chances of pregnancy considerably.
At the time of the procedure, the woman will be asked to lay down, usually at an angle with her hips raised.
A catheter-like tube is inserted in the vagina. This releases the washed sperms into the uterus. Mild discomfort may be experienced although it is not painful.
Anesthesia is generally not required during the procedure. You are required to lay in the position for a few minutes before getting up. This can feel a bit awkward.
It is generally a quick procedure, not more than 15 to 20 minutes. Some women may experience mild cramping after the procedure. Most women report slight spotting. This is normal.
What happens next?
After this, it is a matter of waiting until the next menstrual date. Many couples say that these are the most anxiety-filled days of their lives.
Success rates and factors
Previous consultations before the actual procedure play an important part of a successful IUI.
During these consultations hormone levels are checked and improved, sperm quality and motility are checked, ovulation dates are tracked and monitored and tracked to time the IUI process.
Despite this, the chances of getting pregnant are just 10 to 20 percent in a single IUI cycle.
The success rates improve with subsequent cycles and can go up to 80 percent by the third or the sixth cycle.
Self -insemination for Successful IUI
Self- insemination is one of the newest methods of fertility treatment across the world. Although relatively new, this method is gaining popularity as the first step in assisted conception. (Try Subhag’s Home IUI Kit).
The reason for this is that self- insemination provides the privacy and comfort that is very much required.
Therefore, it is the closest to a natural pregnancy. Self- insemination involves tracking your ovulation with the help of an ovulation kit.
Planning for a baby can be mentally and physically exhaustive. For most couples who are trying to get pregnant, the process of trying can bring their own joys and disappointments.
To make the process even harder, some couples may have serious medical conditions that may hinder them from getting pregnant. New medical advances and new fertility techniques bring with them new rays of hope.
The success of each fertility technique depends on a variety of factors such as age, general health condition, the severity of the medical condition, mental health and stress among other things.
Finding the Right Fertility Clinic-
Below are some pointers that are suggested by people who have undergone IUI themselves. These can guide you in your journey towards finding the best IUI facility –
- Quality of Doctor– Since it is the doctor who will chart out your treatment path, it is better to find one who has the right qualifications and is reputed. Research is the key here. You may speak to people, find reviews on the internet to check the credibility of a doctor.
- Hospital facilities– Finding a hospital with good in-house facilities and quality of the equipment will help to get the entire treatment done under one roof.
- Location– Expect multiple visits to the hospital once your treatment begins. Therefore, it would be an added advantage to find a hospital not too far away from your house.
- Research– Do some research on the success rates of the clinic. Most good fertility clinics have their website and blogs that you can visit and get a feel for their success rates. Again, reading reviews on the internet is a good option before you visit the clinic. Considering the cost of the treatment facilities is also important.
- Enhance your knowledge– Read up on the IUI procedure, causes, and possible treatments. Empowering yourself with this knowledge before you start your treatment will provide you a heads up if you are being asked to go through unnecessary procedures. If in doubt, you can take a second opinion.
- Trust your gut feeling– Lastly. since an infertility treatment such as an IUI is an emotional experience, you can always trust your instincts to guide you when in doubt.